National Medical Plan Options
K-C offers national medical plans that give you more control of your health care spend and saving for your future. All of the plan options offer access to Anthem’s national network of doctors and CVS/caremark’s network of pharmacies. They also all provide free preventive care.
CDHP Blue or Green
With your two medical plan options, the Consumer Driven Health Plan (CDHP) Blue with Health Savings Account (HSA) and CDHP Green with HSA, K-C gives you more choices and control over how you pay for health care.
No matter which option you choose, both CDHP Blue and Green:
- Work the same way
- Offer the same coverage
- Operate under the same Anthem BlueCross BlueShield network of providers
- Experience the same network discounts
- Receive the same HSA contribution from K-C
How Other Coverage Outside of K-C Impacts HSA Eligibility
If you’re enrolled in TRICARE, Medicare, or a non-high deductible health plan outside of K-C, the IRS specifies that you cannot contribute to or receive company contributions into an HSA. There are also special eligibility considerations for Veterans Administration benefits. If you're ineligible for an HSA, you'll be offered a CDHP with Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) that meet IRS restrictions. Click here to learn more about HSA eligibility.
Did you know that if you and your covered dependents are tobacco-free or enrolled in a tobacco cessation program for the last 12 months, you receive a $240 discount on your annual medical paycheck costs? During enrollment, you’ll be asked your tobacco-use status to determine if you’re eligible for the tobacco-free discount.
If you or your covered dependent (18 or older) need to kick the habit, getting the support you need is easy using LiveHealth Online. Whether you’re at work or on the go, you can visit one-on-one with a health coach through live video or over the phone. Coaches can work with you to create a personalized plan of action with strategies to cope with your cravings. They can also send you nicotine replacement directly to your home at no cost to you.
To learn more, register at LiveHealth Online and click the Tobacco-free tile.
Plan Comparison & Paycheck Costs
When comparing the plans, it's important to note that a separate deductible, out-of-pocket maximum, and coinsurance apply to out-of-network services. Print a 2019 Plan PDF or 2020 Plan PDF of this comparison for reference. Just remember, the paycheck costs don’t always tell the full story. For a more complete comparision of both medical plan options, try the Medical Enrollment Tool.
Go GREEN if...
you prefer paying less out of your paycheck now, but having a higher deductible and out-of-pocket maximum to meet when you need care, then you might prefer the CDHP Green with HSA.
Go BLUE if...
you prefer paying more out of your paycheck now, but having a lower deductible and out-of-pocket maximum to meet when you need care, you might prefer the CDHP Blue with HSA.
How a CDHP with HSA Works
The CDHP determines what and how your health care is covered and the HSA is where and how you save and pay for health care tax-free. That means for the CDHP:
Your annual checkups and other preventive care are 100% paid by the plan — as long as you see an in-network provider. If you go out of network for preventive care, you’ll pay the entire cost of that care. If you need any medical care beyond your annual checkup, you pay the full Anthem-negotiated cost out of your HSA or out of pocket until you reach your deductible.
If you reach your deductible, K-C pays 80% of the cost and you pay the remaining 20% when you use Anthem network providers.
Certain prescription drugs are covered at 100% without having to meet the deductible; for all other drugs, you pay the full CVS network cost until you meet your deductible — then K-C pays 80% and you pay 20%.
If you reach your out-of-pocket maximum, the plan pays 100% of your eligible medical expenses and prescription drugs for the rest of the year.